Vegan Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Muffins are light, fluffy, moist, and made with whole wheat flour, sweet potato, applesauce, and other whole ingredients. This eggless and dairy-free muffin recipe has a cinnamon swirl running through it, giving it a cinnamon roll taste!
Vegan Sweet potato cinnamon roll MUFFINS. I mean, are you kidding me!?
I must admit, this self-isolation has been sucking the creativity out of me, but on Saturday I developed the most miraculous little fluffy treats.
A cinnamon roll and sweet potato muffin combined into one while also being vegan, dairy-free, and made with whole ingredients.
I’m feeling like a dang wizard, y’all.
It took me four tries to nail this recipe, so you better believe these muffins are FLAWLESS.
Can you tell I’m just REALLY excited about these egg-free, dairy-free cinnamon roll sweet potato muffins?
I’m clearly a fan of sweet potato-based treats if you couldn’t already tell from my Sweet Potato Banana Muffins, Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins, Flourless Sweet Potato Brownies, or Sweet Potato Breakfast Cookies.
However, I had never attempted an eggless muffin recipe before!
The reason this recipe flopped the first two times was because I tried using flax eggs to keep the recipe vegan, but it altered the texture and made the muffins “gummy”.
Gummy muffins are going to be a no from me!
Ingredient list for Vegan Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Muffins:
Flour: I used 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour and ¾ cup all-purpose flour in this recipe. I haven’t tried any other flours, but I would guess you can use either all whole wheat or entirely all-purpose flour if you’d like.
Sweet Potato: Peirce your sweet potatoes with a knife or fork and place on a lined baking sheet in the oven at 450F for 45-55 minutes. Let your sweet potatoes cool before removing the skins. Once potatoes have cooled completely, set aside one cup for the muffins. Blend or mash with a potato masher until no lumps remain.
Almond Milk: You can sub for any milk of your choosing. We always have almond milk on hand which is why I used almond milk.
Maple Syrup: If you are not vegan, feel free to sub for honey or agave.
Coconut Oil: I personally love the taste of coconut oil the best, but if you do not have any on hand, feel free to swap for any oil.
Unsweetened Applesauce: This gets combined with a few other ingredients for the cinnamon swirl and isn’t easily swapped out. If you are allergic, I would lean toward melted oil in place. I would probably only use 2-3 tbsp oil in place of ¼ cup applesauce.
Others: Baking powder, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar.
What makes these vegan cinnamon roll muffins healthy?
Because this recipe is eggless, I knew I needed enough fat in the batter which is where the healthy cinnamon swirl comes into play.
These dairy-free sweet potato muffins have a coconut sugar swirl running through them made from applesauce, coconut oil, cinnamon, and coconut sugar.
Not only is the cinnamon swirl my favorite part, but it also keeps the muffins nice and moist.
Applesauce works as a low-calorie and low-fat replacement for oil in recipes. I mostly just enjoy the taste it adds to the muffins, though!
I hope you all enjoy these light and fluffy vegan sweet potato muffins as much as Michael and I do!
I cannot wait to make another batch for my friends and neighbors as soon as possible!
PIN ME FOR LATER
If you love this recipe you will also love:
- Healthy Sweet Potato Banana Muffins
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Whole Wheat Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Flourless Sweet Potato Brownies
- Vegan Cinnamon Roll Muffins
As always, be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make this recipe or any of my other recipes!
Vegan Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Muffins
Sweet Potato Muffin Batter
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 3/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Sweet Potato Mashed/pureed
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup maple syrup
- 5 Tbsp Coconut Oil Melted, then cooled
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the mashed/pureed sweet potato, coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add in flours, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Do NOT overmix! Simply stir until moist, and then do no more. In a smaller bowl, mix together cinnamon swirl ingredients.
- Spray your muffin liners or use non-stick silicone liners. Add about half the batter to your muffin liners then half the cinnamon roll batter (NOTE: The batter is very thick! When you add the cinnamon swirl to the middle and top layer of the batter, you're able to spread it out.) and swirl with a knife or toothpick.
- Add the rest of the muffin batter followed by the cinnamon roll batter and swirl again.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes