This Ginger Loaf cake aka homemade gingerbread is so perfect for the holiday season and uses only whole ingredients, plus oil-free!
I LOVE whole ingredient dessert and baking recipes! I know many of you grew up in homes where those desserts were super heavy from the butter, Crisco, added sugar, and heavy cream! Yikes!
Long ago, we didn’t really have access to alternatives as we do today which is actually really awesome! I also love getting the word out to people about how to cook using whole foods and fall in love with healthy cooking and eating! Don’t believe me? Look at my Instagram! When you see my grid, EVERY LAST ONE is healthy.
I don’t mean healthy in low calories, or low fat and carbs. (You can watch this video on how and why I stopped counting calories.) I mean healthy, whole foods, not processed, non- GMO. All of the added sugars and processed ingredients add a ton of stress and inflammation to your body and it’s totally unnecessary!
Speaking of that, be sure to check out 15 Foods I DON’T buy from the grocery store and What To Buy Instead – there’s some good stuff in there!
Also, if you are new to reading labels and eating healthier, I highly recommend you shop at Trader Joe’s, it’s not nearly as overwhelming. Here are my favorites from my Trader Joe’s Haul.
Ingredients for Ginger Loaf Cake
Flour – use either whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour. No matter which one you choose the amount will remain the same that’s in the recipe card below.
Quick Cook Oats – My favorite is Bob’s Red Mill, so good and gluten-free
Applesauce – check the label! I always get the unsweetened kind, so just be aware depending on the brand they can be sneaky and add in extra processed ingredients
Maple Syrup – the REAL kind, y’all!
Ginger, Allspice, Nutmeg, & cinnamon– these are what give the loaf that spice flavor!
Other Ingredients: Molasses, greek yogurt, baking soda, egg, vanilla, and salt
Ingredients for Ginger Loaf Icing
- Powdered sugar
- Almond milk
Here’s what I’m using in the kitchen to make this gingerbread!
- Mixing Bowl
- Loaf Pan 8×4
- Wire Rack
How To Freeze a Ginger Loaf
This gingerbread loaf is great for freezing and making it ahead of time! If you are planning a holiday party or you are in charge of bringing the dessert, definitely make ahead to save time and stress!
Simply follow all of the instructions. Wait until the loaf is completely cooled, then place in a Ziploc bag to freeze.
To thaw, sit it out and let it come to room temperature then add your icing then before serving.
I would recommend freezing as a loaf if you are going to be using this for an occasion. If you just want some to eat for later, freeze in sliced portions and you don’t have to unthaw a whole loaf if you don’t want to.
How To Store
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but it probably won’t be around that long anyway! 🙂
Shoot me a DM or tag me on Insta and show me the gingerbread! I’m so excited for this holiday season!
PIN ME FOR LATER!
Other Ginger Recipes You Will Love:
- Gingerbread Overnight Oats – Gluten Free!
- Healthy, Blender Gingerbread Muffins | Vegan And Gluten-free
Ginger Loaf Cake
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Almond milk
- ¼ tsp Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x4 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add applesauce, maple syrup, molasses, an egg, vanilla and greek yogurt. Whisk together until smooth and well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake loaf for 35-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool in pan 10-15 minutes before removing and to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make topping: add powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla to a small bowl and stir until no lumps remain.
- Drizzle over the cooled loaf. Cut into 10 slices.