This healthy coffee banana smoothie recipe is the perfect healthy breakfast on-the-go. Packed with oats, chia seeds, coffee, and more good-for-you ingredients that are sure to keep you full and satisfied.
Hello coffee lovers of the world!
So basically everyone… right?
I am SO excited to be bringing this healthy coffee banana smoothie recipe to the blog for a few reasons.
- It’s my first smoothie recipe. Hard to believe
- It combines two of my all-time favorite breakfast staples (coffee + oats)
- It’s the perfect on-the-go breakfast, so you can enjoy this goodness while you sit in Atlanta traffic and feel a little less miserable
Those are just a few of the reasons I’m newly obsessed.
I’m not sure why I waited so long to post a smoothie recipe (with the exception of my banana pumpkin smoothie bowl). Sometimes I feel like smoothie posts are a cop-out because all you gotta do is toss your ingredients in a blender and BOOM. You’re done.
Kind of a food blogger’s dream.
But then I thought back on my dark chocolate espresso peanut butter cups recipe, the bartlett pear, goat cheese, and honey pecan crostinis I shared a few posts back , and my most popular recipe: healthy honey garlic slow cooker chicken.. and they’re equally as easy.
BUT I chose to share them anyway because of how they tasted!
I couldn’t keep this easy coffee banana smoothie recipe to myself. That would just be plain rude. 😉
I put a healthy twist on my Coffee Banana smoothie by…
- Using unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It has a lot less sugar than skim milk, and I prefer going dairy-free when I can.
- Adding chia seeds because they contain 11 grams of fiber (!!) and 4 grams of protein in just 2 tbsp. You can read more about why I’m fiber-obsessed here.
- Replacing peanut butter with powdered peanut butter. It’s still packed with 8 grams of protein! I also used powdered peanut butter in these Vegan Cookie Dough Balls if you’re interested.
- Adding cinnamon because it lowers blood sugar, is full of antioxidants + more health benefits. Plus ,it tastes like the holidays!
- Using a frozen banana as your “ice” because bananas are packed with vitamins and minerals. Using frozen bananas instead of ice also prevents your smoothie from getting watered down!
- Using stevia instead of sugar/honey/agave/ because, well, I prefer to!
Some Tips to Make the Best Smoothie Ever!
Smoothie Tip Number One:
Use a FROZEN banana. This is how you will achieve the best texture. It has a subtle flavor so it won’t overpower the other flavors; however, don’t use an overripe banana… they’re potent.
Unless your intention is for your smoothie to taste like banana bread, use a just-ripe banana. Completely up to you!
Smoothie Tip Number Two:
Ditch the ice! Unless you drink your smoothie right away, it will melt and water your smoothie down.
Stick to frozen fruit or even frozen veggies (think: spinach or steamed then frozen cauliflower) to thicken your smoothie and keep it cold.
Smoothie Tip Number Three:
Invest in a high-quality blender!
I know everyone and their mother is obsessed with owning a Vitamix, but I’ve never owned one. Instead, I bought this Ninja Kitchen Set a few years ago and have never looked back!
It does an amazing job. I love the Nutri-ninja for smoothies since I’m usually just making them for one.
The MOST exciting part of this breakfast smoothie recipe is the coffee I used.
Not only is their coffee one of the best I’ve ever tasted, but it holds a special place in my heart because it is coffee with a mission.
You can sip on this coffee banana smoothie with an even better conscience. 🙂
Read all about their Do Good Initiative and see what I mean.
In short, Land of a Thousand Hills partners with small-scale coffee farmers in Rwanda to “provide better wages, for a better future.” They invest in sustainable village projects and pay higher than Fair Trade prices.
When you buy their coffee, you help families provide for themselves, build homes for orphans, give care to widows, and give hope to their coffee communities.
It’s pretty amazing all the things they’re doing, and I’m spoiled because their coffee shop is just a couple miles from my home.
I hope all you coffee lovers enjoy this easy, on-the-go breakfast as much as I do!
PIN ME FOR LATER!