This Carrot Cake Banana Bread is dairy-free, moist, fluffy, refined sugar free, and puts a nice twist on traditional banana bread!
It’s official! You can have cake for breakfast! I know there are literally thousands of banana recipes on the internet, so that’s why I wanted to create something different and unique. Then it hit me since spring will be here soon, I should totally cross carrot cake and banana bread and see what I come up with.
Let’s just say it is absolutely delicious! Moist and flavorful like carrot cake but you still get the sweetness from the bananas. I added a healthy-ish frosting, but you could definitely leave it off and just have the bread by itself.
I’ve been known to pair all kinds of ingredients with bananas so be sure to read until the end for more recipes! Don’t forget to read 7 Ways to Step Up Your Banana Bread!
Ingredients for Carrot Cake Banana Bread
Applesauce – by using applesauce, it lets us cut bake on traditional bread ingredients like butter and oil.
Bananas – make sure these are ripe! The riper they are means more natural sweetness!
Maple syrup – syrup is one of those items that there can be tons of hidden ingredients, which is why I never buy the fake stuff! (You can read about the 15 Foods I Never Buy From The Grocery Store in this article.) Always check the labels and look for organic pure maple syrup. I really like the kind from Trader Joe’s or on amazon.
Oats – make sure these are quick-cooking and not steel-cut!
Spices – cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt
White Whole Wheat Flour
Carrots – these need to be grated and the excess moisture needs to be wrung out. I used my ninja ktichen to grate them, place them in a cheesecloth and squeeze out the liquid.
Ingredients for the Frosting
- Cream cheese
- Maple syrup
- Greek yogurt
The healthy cream cheese frosting is totally optional, but it is oh so delicious so please try it! 🙂
How To Make Dairy Free Cream Cheese Frosting:
Using an electric beater, beat all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
Can You Make Carrot Cake Banana Bread Vegan?
We haven’t tested a vegan version of this recipe, but you can substitute a flax egg for the bread ingredients and leave off the frosting and it would be vegan friendly. If you decide to make the bread this way, please tag me on Instagram and tell me how it is!
Do You Store Carrot Cake Banana Bread like Regular Banana Bread?
Yep! Once it cools place it in an airtight container and you can keep it in your refrigerator for up to 7 days!
Instructions for Freezing
If you plan to freeze the loaf, don’t frost it. Wait to add the frosting the next time you serve it. Place the cooled bread into a freezer-friendly container or reusable bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
You can freeze the bread in slices or in a full loaf. It’s also a good idea to wrap it in saran wrap or aluminum foil before putting it in a container to freeze.
Tips for Making
- When you add your flour and grated carrots be careful to not overmix!
- Use a toothpick at the end to make sure the bread is fully cooked
- If you decide to make mini loaves, decrease the cooking time.
For more Hello Spoonful recipes, you can find me on Instagram! Anytime you make something from HS, tag me! I love sharing your creations on my stories!
PIN ME FOR LATER
More of My Favorite Bread Recipes:
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Oil-free)
- Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- No Added Sugar Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips | Dairy-free, Oil-free, Healthy
- Addicting Healthy Cinnamon Apple Banana Bread | Dairy Free + Clean Ingredients
- Healthy Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
- Healthy Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread
Dairy Free Carrot Cake Banana Bread
FOR THE BREAD:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 medium-size ripe bananas, mashed (~1 cup)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup grated carrots ~2 medium, grated and excess moisture removed
DAIRY FREE FROSTING:
- 1/3 Cup Dairy Free Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Dairy Free Butter
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
MY CLASSIC FROSTING:
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare your carrots. These need to be grated and the excess moisture needs to be wrung out. I used my ninja ktichen to grate them, place them in a cheese cloth and squeeze out the liquid.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9 x 5 bread pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your egg, applesauce, bananas, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk/combine until smooth. Stir in the oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Spoon in the flour and gently fold it in until just combined.
- Stir in the shredded carrots. Don’t overmix! 🙂
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it out evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, then cover with foil and bake another 10-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the bread is baking, prepare your frosting by adding the ingredients to a small bowl and beating with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Store in the fridge until you’re ready to spread on the bread.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the bread is cool, spread the frosting on top. Store the bread in a covered container in the fridge for up to 7 days, or freeze it (unfrosted) for up to 3 months.