This Healthy & Easy Turkey Sweet Potato Chili can be made in your instant pot, slow cooker, or on the stove. Made with clean ingredients and ready in no time. It’s the perfect fall or winter chili recipe!
As soon as the temperatures start to drop, my body is like “Give me all the comfort food!!” Anyone else?
Chili will always remind me of cozy fall and winter days which is why I knew I needed a turkey and sweet potato chili recipe on the blog.
I already have White Chicken Chili recipe on Hello Spoonful, but wanted something a bit more hearty!
This healthy turkey chili with sweet potatoes, black beans, kidney beans, peppers, crushed tomatoes, and all the best spices really hit the nail on the head for me!
Then again, I’m down for anything involving sweet potatoes. Vegan Sweet Potato Pasta Sauce, Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Muffins, Sweet Potato Breakfast Cookies… you could say I’m a sweet potato addict. #NoShame
For this Easy and Healthy Turkey Sweet Potato Chili you will need:
- Ground turkey (I used 93% fat-free because it offers the most flavor in my opinion! 99% fat-free is way too dry.)
- Sweet potatoes
- Beans: Black beans and kidney beans
- Bell pepper (I used yellow but any will work!)
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Spices: Chili powder, Cumin, Paprika, Salt, and Pepper
I was initially going to make this turkey sweet potato chili in my crockpot, but the instant pot (or pressure cooker) is all the rage right now so I opted to make it instant pot, stovetop, AND slow cooker friendly!
Just in case you all don’t have all these gadgets at home, ya know?
I will say, I’m obsessed with my Multi-Pot Express Crockpot because it acts like a slow cooker and a pressure cooker. AKA it takes up way less space in our cabinet than having both appliances.
I’ve used my Multi-Pot Express Crockpot to make this Healthy 20 Minute Risotto, 5 Ingredient Honey Garlic Chicken, 5 Ingredient Buffalo Chicken, and so much more! Just search “crockpot” on my site and you’ll see a laundry list of recipes to make. 🙂
This isn’t sponsored either. I just genuinely love it.
My personal favorite way to make this Healthy Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is by using the pressure cooker setting on my Multi-Cooker.
Instant Pot Instructions for Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
You’ll start by using the saute setting on your instant pot to saute your onions and garlic. Next, you’ll add your turkey and brown it using the same setting. After that, you simply add the rest of the ingredients to the same pot. It couldn’t be easier!
This is also the quickest way to make your turkey chili, but if an instant pot isn’t available, your stovetop or slow cooker will work just as well!
Slow Cooker Instructions
To make this Healthy Turkey Sweet Potato Chili in your slow cooker, you will instead saute your onions and garlic on a skillet. Next, you’ll add your turkey to the skillet until it begins to brown. Lastly, you will add all of your ingredients (from the stove and on your ingredient list) to your crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
This is a great method if you’re heading off to work and want your slow cooker to do the work for you while you’re away.
I love coming home to the delicious smells steaming from my crockpot when I walk through the door.
It’s such a warm welcome!
Freezing Turkey Chili for Later
If you want to freeze a batch of turkey pumpkin chili, simply let it cool completely then add it to a freezer bag or use a vacuum sealer. Store in smaller portions if you think you may want to carry this chili for lunch one day. This avoids getting out the whole batch if you don’t plan to eat it right away.
Other Chili and Soup Recipes You May Like:
No time to make this turkey chili right now? No worries!
Pin me for later! 🙂
Healthy Turkey Sweet Potato Chili - Instant Pot + Slow Cooker Recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey I used 93% fat free
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic Or 2 cloves
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper Chopped into one inch pieces
- 4 Cups Sweet Potato Peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 28-30 Oz Canned Tomato Sauce
- 16 Oz Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 16 Oz Black Beans Canned
- 16 Oz Kidney Beans Canned
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
For Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the saute function. Heat your oil and add onions until slightly brown. Next, add your garlic and heat for another minute. Lastly, add your turkey to the pressure cooker and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients to your pressure cooker and stir to combine.
- Seal the vent and set to high pressure for 9 mins. Once 9 mins is finished, quick release and open lid.
- Heat your oil in a large saucepan on the stove (large enough to cook all of the chili in) and add your onions. Cook until slightly brown. Next, add your garlic and heat for another minute. Lastly, add your turkey and cook until browned.
- After you have browned your onions, garlic, and turkey, add remaining ingredients to the pot. Bring the ingredients to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Heat your oil in a skillet on the stove. Add onions and cook for about three minutes until slightly brown. Next, add your garlic and heat for another minute. Lastly, add your turkey and cook until browned.
- Add the turkey and onion mixture to your crockpot. Top with the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until potatoes are tender.