Crispy air fryer tofu is made to perfection every time, with less fat than the traditional method of deep-frying. In less than 20 minutes, you are tossing your air fryer tofu in a homemade honey garlic sauce that is balanced in flavor and totally satisfying.
I’m sure like most tofu eaters you have tried it about every way imaginable and sometimes the crisp just isn’t there! Air frying is your answer!
I recently got an air fryer and I have to say I am in love!
It is user friendly, minimal cleanup and the fact that you can make anything you want to in it is amazing (anything that can be cooked in the oven can be made in the air fryer, ex. cookies, muffins, breads, chicken, etc!)
The first thing I air-fried was air fryer cauliflower gnocchi which was so good! I was actually impressed with the crispiness!
When using the air fryer, it cooks by convection, therefore leaving foods more crispy without having to be deep-fried. Convection simply means that there’s really hot air blowing all around the food as the cooking method.
Air frying tofu allows you to decrease the cooking time without comprising that crunch you are wanting.
Not to mention you don’t have to worry about all the unhealthy stuff like you do when deep-frying!
How to Make Air Fryer Tofu
Here are some of the ingredients you will need to get started! Don’t forget the honey garlic sauce, it adds so much flavor!
Extra Firm Tofu – By using extra firm, most of the excess water is already squeezed out, but you will need to press it a little more before air frying. If you have a tofu press that’s perfect!
If not, simply lay the tofu in the center of a clean thin dishtowel and gently press to remove excess moisture. *Removing the excess moisture plays a huge part in the tofu being crispy.
Cooking spray – By spraying the bottom of your air fryer and the tops of the tofu, this reduces the fat content, because we won’t be using added oils.
Other Ingredients: corn starch, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, soy sauce, honey, and minced garlic.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Tofu
- Did you know you can purchase parchment paper liners to make cleanup super easy? These liners already have precut holes in the bottom, so there it doesn’t affect the quality of cooking, nor does it increase the time.
- Don’t overload your basket. This is really the only downside to cooking with an air fryer. If you overload the basket, it will increase the cooking time and your tofu will not get as crispy. The best way to avoid this is to cook in batches. Keep your previous batch in the oven at a higher temperature so it stays ways and doesn’t lose its crunch.
- If you have leftovers and want to reheat the tofu, simply use the air fryer for just a few minutes on the reheat setting.
How Should I Serve Honey Garlic Air Fryer Tofu?
If you are using the honey garlic sauce, which I highly recommend you do, it gives the tofu more of an Asian style meal.
Here are some side dishes and ways you can serve it:
- With steamed veggies like broccoli and carrots, or Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Instant Pot Healthy 20 Minute Risotto
- Cauliflower Rice, Brown or White Rice
- With or on a dinner salad
I am so excited to make more recipes in the air fryer! If you have some suggestions for me, let me know on Instagram!
Don’t forget to tag me so I can see how they turn out!
PIN ME FOR LATER
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- Air Fryer Egg Bites
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Gnocchi
- The BEST Air Fryer Apples
- Healthy Air Fryer Meatballs | Gluten Free
- Healthy Cinnamon French Toast Sticks – Air Fryer!
More Air Fryer Tofu Recipes
Air Fryer Tofu with Honey Garlic Sauce
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cooking Spray
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup Honey Can add more if you like it sweeter!
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Lay the tofu in the center of a clean thin dishtowel and gentle press to remove excess moisture. Cut the tofu into ~1 x1 inch pieces.
- Place the squares in a large bowl or a large ziploc bag. Add the cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, and salt. Toss or close and shake the bag until the tofu is completely coated.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer and place the cubes in a single layer. (Optional to use air fryer parchment paper for easy clean up!) Spray the tops of the tofu with cooking spray. Set the air fryer at 360F for 18 minutes. After the 10 minutes, give the basket a shake. Arrange tofu back in a single layer across the basket and cook for another 8 minutes at 360F.
- While the tofu is frying, combine chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer sauce, stirring often, until flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Pour into the saucepan; simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- When the tofu is done frying. Place in the bowl with 1/2 cup honey garlic sauce and toss.
- Plate the tofu, drizzle with extra sauce as desired. Enjoy!