These Spicy Chicken Burgers are pan-seared and filled with flavor! A healthy alternative to beef burgers! So good you can even eat them without a bun!
Summer is just around the corner, which means burger season is almost here. Many people embrace the summer weather by bringing out their grills and gathering the whole family for some fun in the sun. Spoiler alert: you can make these on the grill or in the pan, which is what I’m doing because it’s super convenient.
Why We Love Spicy Chicken Burgers
- Easy to make
- Doesn’t require a grill (but you can use one)
- Full of protein
- A healthy alternative to reduce beef consumption
Ground chicken is a great and very tasty replacement for beef and is often forgotten about. It’s packed full of protein and we recommend getting organic, free-range when you can to avoid added preservatives and antibiotics.
The great thing is by making this at home you not only are taking the right steps into a healthier lifestyle, but you’re doing it with much fresher and better-tasting ingredients. Not to mention with our newborn, eating at home is where it’s at!
Don’t worry, these burgers aren’t going to light your mouth on fire, they have just the right amount of kick!
Ingredients for Spicy Chicken Burgers
Ground chicken – I prefer using lean 90% or using ground turkey to mix it up
Zucchini – You will need it grated and squeezed well of excess moisture. If you don’t get most of the water out, the burgers can be soggy, so don’t slip on this step!
Lime or lemon juice – you can use store-bought or freshly squeezed
Making Spicy Chicken Burgers
Start by grating your zucchini and squeezing out the water. You may have to do this a couple of times depending on how much it contains.
Combine all your ingredients except for the oil in a large bowl and stir until combined. Don’t worry the mixture is supposed to be wet!
Make four individual patties that are even in thickness.
Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat, then add the patties. Cook for about 7 minutes before flipping. Then cook for another 5-6 minutes.
Feel free to work in batches if needed. Top with your favorite burger toppings like lettuce, tomato, onions, and whatever condiments you love!
Freezing for Later
You can actually freeze the patties raw in a single layer separated by parchment paper or after they are cooked.
To reheat, add the chicken burgers to a pan and heat until they are warm all the way through.
What should you do now? Grab all of these ingredients and start cranking out spicy chicken burgers!
Let me know what the fam thinks by tagging me on Instagram!
PIN ME FOR LATER
More Healthy Chicken Recipes To Try:
- Crockpot Fiesta Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Bake
- Thai Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken
- Gluten Free Keto Chicken Strips
Healthy Spicy Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb. ground chicken I use lean 90%, can also use ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped/minced onion
- 1 medium zucchini grated and squeezed well of excess moisture (~ 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all ingredients (except oil) in a large bowl and stir until combined. The mixture will be wet.
- Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add patties, working in batches if necessary, and cook over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes, flip and cook another 5-6 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining patties, serve and enjoy!